Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Night Photography



Tricky Textures
- The Challenge of backlighting
 [shooting against the light] -



"Tricky Textures?" - What kind of descript is that? 
 Truth is, I just want my title to be "catchy", by using just two "t" words.


 FEU's Rhescy Bejic [# 26] and Ateneo's Bea Velasco [# 18]

 
 What I am really saying is that backlighting [day or night, can be very tricky, at the very least, and on occasion -> extremely challenging].  Rewarding Nonetheless, tho - when handled craftily.

I chose these four backlighted images [even though one of them could have been better angled] cos i like 'em all. 




 Nona Amoncio



 Fiona Faulkner

"Getting" [yeah, as if one can control it] a nice ratio between my "backlight" and "frontlight", getting a good angle on my subject [s] - usually determines the clarity of the "elusive textures" i [at times, I so desperatetly - ha!] look to capture.
There is NO One Perfect / Ideal Angle in such [any] situation, whatsoever - i simply have to understand the variables that I work with and decide the "lighting mix" i want - to "paint" my subjects - which elements, textures to emphasize / bring attention to, and which elements to play down - and quickly visualize how the overall scene will register on my DSLR sensors.

As always - I usually have barely have enough seconds, literally!, To adjust my manual settings, compose, angle [more so, in the sports setting] - and time my clicks to get the images - and capture the moods i want - with the -> most effective! use of the light - available at hand.


 Bea Velasco   and   Cam Rodriguez


Not Exactly backlighted, but dramatically lit, Nonetheless .... I'm sure I could have crafted a more balanced ratio with an mages - but - hey, who's to say that a particle 's angle is the best - or even the worst, even? Hu?

Bottom Line - Gotta read the light all around, {quickly ! as in really fast} find the best angles to illuminate all the elements -> Individually AND collectively! , On the scene - controlling / tweaking what  shadows, highlights, textures, colors will appear etc. - To Convey Not only what i see - but also what my subjects FEEL, and what I FEEL myself too!

Hey, I never saw that coming! - The words just came out ...

Anyway - Enough of that artsy talk -

 I'll cut this short - Have to attend to something ASAP.

Anyway,  there are a lot more images I hope to share soon, also from Ateneo-FEU match  ... 
 all Taken That NIGHT. 

Shooting at Night is Tricky  - Yes, Definitely not that easy to handle

One has to be very comfortable with it - for it to be a Fun, Learning Xperience,
with all its Pitfalls, Challenges - and Rewards.





brosi gonzales









 

No comments:

Post a Comment