Sunday, July 03, 2016

Instincts and Gut Feel {revised}

Taking it or Leaving It


The Low-Light Candid
 [occasionally, extremely low-light] 
Challenge 






Charo Soriano
 Simple, unassuming, laid back 
{Charo had already been interviewed minutes earlier} ...
just a stress free and relaxed demeanor ,,,
i dare speculate that in the back of her mind
Charo was already "configuring" her mindset for Monday's Knockout match 

Not great, but I like this picture - It's just another new photo interpret of Charo
{ w/a "smidge" of art in it } hi hi 



Michele Gumabao
Michele and the Pocari Sweat Warriors were just so Happy and Relieved
 to have tied the Semi-Final Best-of-Three Series.
She didn't care much about HOW they won it, as long as they won it !
Yeah !
 




They come, they go - [occasionally] those ever-so-fleeting, happenstance moments [photo opps]  that i sense/perceive ... at the corner of my eye, on a glance, on a whim, and - more often than not -> on the go  .....

.....  and more often than not, too -> they are "imperfect photo opps", that have such a small window of opportunity - as in - which compell me to decide, on moment's notice, wether to take it, or leave it be, cos, in a matter of seconds - the opp will be gone - simple as that.


Yesterday, after the Pocari Sweat / Bali Pure semi-final match, won by Pocari in 5 exciting sets {Shakey's V-League at the Arena in San Juan} - three separate opps presented themselves.

Opp #1
As Alyssa Valdez was finishing her on-the spot interview, inside that claustrophobic Arena press room - I chanced upon Charo Soriano, having a private discussion w/ her assistant coach, in one quiet portion of the said room.

Without any hesitation i calmly snapped 4-8 candid head shots of the Bali-Pure player-coach.  Wasn't that dark, tho, but still - twas still a low-light situation ---

--- and Yes, Charo was aware I was taking candidsI guess she's pretty much used to my "deskarte" / style, so to speak, by now - ergo - it was like i was actually invisible.  

Opp #2
This was the more interesting one, simply because - as i was coming fr the CR, i noticed Michele Gumabao, being ambush interviewed by a writer - and when I saw how the light, escaping from the TV prod room {the door just happened to be open} illuminated her face - wowe !  --- 

---Before, i could take another breath, I had my DSLR angled to capture the unique "irresistible textures" !! that were created by the illumination --> albeit very dramatic but very tricky !
And, geswat just so happened, the said lllumination created catch lights on Michele's eyes !


The statuesque spiker probably took a hurried shower - no biggy !
Her disheveled hair, actually, made for a More Interesting Image

Athletes fr both teams were just achin' to vamoose {and prob indulge in a hearty late dinner} .... 'Twas almost 9:30 pm !, and Game 3 {the decider} was already set for Monday
 
 


Opp #3
As I was "finishing up" on my Michele Gumabao candids - Lo and Behold !, as i turned my head - I saw Katrina [Michele's sister], just a few feet to my left, so engrossed with her texting !

Instinct, Gut Feel - call it what you like - In a "wink" I knew  I had another tricky/risky low-light scenario that presented another great opp [AND challenge] to craft another very dramatic on-the-spot steal  .....

So I just used ALL my "photo smarts" and skillZ to make sure that i had, at least one decent dramatic image - before the moment was lost - forever.

Mind you, I struggled to get the reflection [of her mobile] ONLY On One of her spectacle lenses [on the image below, the reflection is on the spectacle lens on HER right].    When the reflection would appear twice {one on each lens} it gave an illusion that she was cross-eyed ! 

After a few tries, I finally got it right, by which time, Katrina was done.
 

 Katrina Gumabao
 { Tin's actually flaxen-haired - Not Obvious here, cos of the extremely low-light }
 I actually, had been looking for my buddy, all-game-long   ....and was pleasantly surprised to get a chance to clarify a few things re' our up-coming photo shoot,
 just when I thought 'twas time for me to leave the Arena.

I'd hoped to take candids of Katrina in the gallery, actually, that is, IF i wouldda found her.



Catching her quite engrossed w her mobile, in the last minute [literally]...
  - THAT was Unexpected.


FYI, there were actually two [previous to these three] fleeting photo opps that i noticed, BUT simply let go - for whatever reason - instinct, gut feel - mood ?? whatever ....

{ The said photo opps had Denden Lazaro, Bea de Leon, Ponggay Gaston, Jhoanna Maraguinot, LA Revilla, and Luigi Altamirano - as subjects }

The aforementioned opps were potentially, on the sidelines, as in - on the brightly lit areas of the Arena adjacent to the playing court. 

I'm fine with having chosen the more low-lit scenarios.  

Next time around  ..... Who knows what I'll decide ....

 Again, as I said - It's either I Take it or Leave it - That Simple.... Anyway   ...


brosi gonzales



--> PS ... I Lied 
I actually took {low-light} B-t-Scenes steals even before the Pocrai Sweat/Bali Pure match, as in - images of Bea Tan and Ella de Jesus just having fun whilst warming up, along the Arena corridors













Tags 
charosoriano michelegumabao mariakatrinagumabao tingumabao lowlightphotography lowlightportraiture
arenainsanjuan shakeysvleague pocarisweatwarriors balipurewaterdefenders backlitportrait elladejesus beatan
behindthescenes skakeysvlea guesuigeneris itsjustwhatido

No comments:

Post a Comment