Thursday, January 24, 2013

Roots



Rock Images
from my
Restless, Reckless Past 

Yes, once upon a time - in the 90's - I did tour w several local bands sev X over -> After Image, Color it Red, Wolfgang, True Faith, River Maya [the orig, of course - Rico Blanco, Bamboo and Perf de Castro], and few more less notable ones.  Those were the daze - yup - 35mm Back & White Film was my favorite medium.  Used a Nikon SLR film camera then, processed ALL my Black & White Film and printed ALL B & W prints, - mind you, manually ->in a dark room.



Perf de Castro

Yet, it was a "very colorful" summer of  1995 for me - albeit shooting in B & W Film !! I was into rock, restless and reckless  then - Actually, I still am, but not that into rock anymore, cocky - restless ->still am - reckless -> yes of course too[still am, more so with my friendships and relationships - I just feel to much & not even think at all]. But I suppose that's what fuels, and has always fueled my creativity -  R & R. 


Color it Red

At least I was lucky enough to be able to preserve and scan [and convert into JPEGs] some select images from some out of town and MManila gigs.


Cookie Chua


Put3ka


Bamboo


Bamboo


I Shit You Not 

Fact is - IN ALL the images in this post - I used 35M Black & White Film !!!  I treated the surface of the B & W negatives w certain chemicals [manually] then brought the already colored Black & White negatives to a reputable custom printer and had them do Color Prints from the otherwise monochromatic negatives !!  YES ! As I said - I was so recklessly restless during those daze - burning the midnight oil, manually applying  these chemicals on the surface of the erstwhile Black & White Negatives for HOURS on end - Tedious trial and error  -  Hours on end wasting several frames in a negative strip, just to get a "perfect" one done.  Luckily, all that experimentation, "blind faith" and effort did produce this type of NON-DIGITAL Imagery.

Those shown here are the select few that do stand out  and are really worth sharing.  Maybe I'll release some of the lesser compelling images in another post - but hey - Hope these are cool enough 4 now.



Color it Red

Will I ever get a chance to do this kinda shit again ?? It IS possible - I'd have to invest in a 2nd hand 35mm analogue SLR, prime manual lenses, work on my lab techniques, find some Kodak 35mm Tri-X film, find some Black & White darkroom chemicals, find some projectors -  So, i seriously doubt it - I'm happy as it is I've preserved some of these IRREPLACABLE images.



Cookie Chua


Bopip


  Bea

And as always
 - My FlRST love  -> Available Light Portraiture -
 is manifested one way or the other



Last X'mas Season - 
I  E-mailed a friend of mine & my message to her was . . .

"Fall in love everyday - if not with someone - then with what you do"



 brosi gonzales

 

No comments:

Post a Comment