Friday, January 11, 2013

First Love




Miss the Blacks -  and the Whites
[and the Limitless Nuances of Gray in  between]



There are still a number of Black & White, [scanned prints] I am featuring in a post for the first time ever ["Angie"  and "Cindy"] here.  The rest are reposts from earlier features in my first blog www.brosigonzales.blogspot.com.


Suffice it to say - My experience with Black & White Film years back, when I trained/worked in an professional advertising/fashion/portrait studio helped mold me into the photographer I am today. Working with FILM [35mm or medium format] and its limits [one cannot preview scene in the maner digital tech allows us these days] and being compelled to "get one's exposures right the first time" trained me in a way that digital photog' couldn't even hope to approximate.


My photographic training in the "old school",  or "school of hard knocks"  or whatever one might call it did me train me to "see" and fashion images long before I actually pressed the shutter.  "Knowing" how any scene would actually look like in Black & Whitesimply by observing - can never be learned overnight - Only tears of experience can do that.  Noticing the nuances of light -> "reading" light" in all its forms - reflected, diffused, scattered, filtered, intensified, softened is simply second nature to me and some how makes it easier for me to make artistic decisions when shooting with stills.


So -Enuff o'That -
Here are just a few cherished souviniers [all portraits]
from my Black & White days


Angee


Cindy





 The Zobels

Classic Non-Traditional Portrait



Chinot

Alex

Victoria

Melissa

 Michelle



Joanne




Love Sports --- but
Yup - Still Crazy [over portraiture] After All These Years

 brosi gonzales

No comments:

Post a Comment