Monday, January 11, 2016

Cookie and Perf



Reconnecting - Part 1

Yes, the last time saw Cookie Chua [Color it Red] and Perf de Castro
{River Maya/Tri Axis} was way back 1995.


Cookie Chua
UP Los Banos - Summer, 1995

Over the weekend I had the opp of to reconnect with these two musicians [considering Perf resides in the West Coast and is only staying till the 19th of Jan - I believe he flew in last Wednesday, the 6th - the next time he might fly in is difficult to ascertain].  Anyway, I visited Tiendesitas [at C-5] and East 19 [Sucat] - Friday and Saturday respectively. I was simply happy to see the two musicians - and made sure that before the weekend was done - I'd have crafted some great "live-on-stage" images of Cookie and Perf - and as a bonus - "live-on-stage" images, too, of Rico Blanco, Nathan Azarcon, and Mark Escuata [ll former members of -> River Maya - who were slated to be the special guests at Perf's East 19 gig [course, a banner crows was expected].

TbTold tho, it's Cookie Chua who I'm most acquianted with, and had spent the most time hanging out with, during the summer [and rainy season] of 1995 - Yup, 20 years ago.

At one point - Cookie's band -Color it Red- dropped by at my residence in Marilao, Bulacan [fresh of from a gig in Bocaue] and had dinner on my terrace  -- I even remember fetching Cookie, at her D. Tuazon res, to bring her to a gig [since I was going to attend the same gig anyway] - "dabarkads" lang kami ng Color it Red - at that time -- I'd hang out w them after their gigs -  having late dinners - and late drinks, at that.

Color it Red
UP Los Banos - Summer, 1995

Anyway, as far as River Maya was concerned - I did several of their out-of-town gigs too [in coordination with their manager, Lisa Nakpil] - and shot their first major concert, at the Folk Arts Theatre, sometime August of 1995.  I never really did get close to the guys, the way I got chummy with Color it Red - but when I finally got to see Nathan, last Saturday, at East 19 - we gave each other a warm manly hug.


Perf de Castro
Folk Arts Theatre - August, 1995

But, so much for good times reminisced - 'Twas the imagery that concerned me the most, over the weekend. 

At least, now, with digital equipment - I could shoot so much more, as compared to way back then [1995] - when I was limited to the number of rolls of 35mm film I had [36 frames per roll] - and could not see my final images until the next day, whereat I'd have to go to a photo shop to have my film processed, then see hard copies, printed from the film negatives, at the earliest, an hour later.

-------

Here are a few of my favorites from last Friday and Saturday.
[ I'll stagger some more in a separate post
- these'll suffice for one post ] 


Cookie
Tiendesitas - Jan. 8

 Perf
Tiendesitas - Jan. 8



East 19 - Jan.9/10
[the next 5 images]


Mark and Rico


Perf, Mark, Rico

 Nathan and Perf


Guests Elmo and Rico



More to come in a separate post .....







brosi gonzales

Tags
perfdecastro ricoblanco cookiechua coloritred elmomagalona markescueta nathanazarcon east19 tiendesitas 
pinoyrock PDCPinas2016 rivermaya









No comments:

Post a Comment