Thursday, February 06, 2014

Black & White

Classic


The Zobel Kids  [late 90s]
Taken on Location at Ayala Alabang

 Used Kodak ASA 400 Tri-X 120 Medium Format Film
Processed the film myself
Printed an 8 X10
Scanned it on a flatbed - ergo -this JPEG

As I've stated for the Nth Time,  I love Sports Photojournalism - 
but - 
I Adore Portraiture.

I've had the fortune of experiencing Black & White Film Photography. Handled 35mm AND 120 Medium Format Black & White Film, using analogue cameras w Manual Focus !!. I'd process [develope] the exposed film in a darkroom and come out with "Black & White Negatives " [in strips], then proceed to print Black & White Prints myself [in the confines of a real darkroom, literally ----

[not the so called "digital darkroom" all photogs, including me, use these days ->utilizing programs like Adobe or U-lead]

--- using a projector {w/ interchangable lenses, too, like a camera}.  Fact is, I simply cannot put a "price" on my film experience {when we photogs had to work within the limits of rolls of film [at the most a roll could only have 36 frames] and could not actually preview/view/see/check our images through an LCD on order to make adjustments } WE had to get our exposures Right/Almost Perfect the First Time !!, lest we [the clients, models, us photogs] suffer the consequences of a reshoot/reschedule - which in MOST cases was Totally Unacceptable [more so in weddings/public events and fashion shoots !]

Been there, Done that ?? Maybe So, Maybe No. [But that did serve as my foundation in Photography] 

I started shooting sports way back 2000 when my nephew. then 6 yrs of age, started his Football "Odyssey" at Southridge - I was there at his very first 
lesson ! - Taking pictures w/ 35mm Color Negative Film.

Got my first digital SLR, April of 2008 - and before I knew it I was offered a job to shoot UAAP Basketball by July of 2010 - and since then - I've never looked back {course, I NEVER stopped shooting portraits]. 

It is hard to elaborate into words - but my Film Experience has helped me in so many more ways [still does] than one.

Seeing things in my mind's eye - way, way, way before [even imagining how an image would register in Black & White] I press my shutter [and not through a viewfinder] is just one of many things I learned [the hard way - was there really, an easy way - I ask?] - 

Well, whatever  ---> I still make a Whole Lotta Mistakes even TODAY - I kid you not - even w/ the conveniences of technology  ...

Still - OK Lang.

Photography is an never ending process of learning, adjusting and making the BEST of whatever TOOLS one has available - High OR Low Tech - and ---> taking it to the Next Level ever so often. 

And, at least, for me, putting a Spin, some Style and a Whole Lotta Soul in every image I take

brosi gonzales



No comments:

Post a Comment