Monday, August 19, 2013

Seeing in Black & White

Where I'm Coming From


Took a portrait of my cousin, Martha R., [photo below] when she was a little over a year old. I used 35mm Black & White Film, processed [developed] the film myself, and printed this myself [manually, of course, in a darkroom]. I scanned the print on a flatbed scanner to have a JPEG file [soft copy] of the portrait. [Same case as w ALL the portraits in this post]



Learned photography the traditional way [the hard way].  Used manual focus lenses. The number of rolls of film [each 35mm film roll had 36 frames, at the most] I had would determine how many exposures [shots] I could take. Didn't have the luxury of having a preview of [test shots] my subjects - so I was compelled, trained to visualize how an image might look, more so particularly --> in Black & White.  My experience with film trained me [at times,"strained me", in a manner of speaking] to be very keenly observant to the nuances of light, and to imagine accurately how what I see would eventually translate into film.



Guys growing up with digital photography will never, can never relate to such.  Without a doubt, my experience with film still "influences" my current digital photography - in more [good] ways than one.



Notice the "water damage" on the print above [the print got soaked while still inserted in a clear book for a prolonged period]. Some of the Black & White prints in this post, obviously, have different types stains on the surface. ]



On a quirky personal note - I'm die-hard Atenista [Besides studying/growing up at Ateneo I did get a a chance to study in FEU, UP and UST too - wuja believe ?] - My closest friends [all pretty !] were all La Sallites from Taft !! [One even became my girlfriend of 4 years !] Ha!
[The two girls below are DLSU alum from Taft]

The past years or so [and currently too], as far as my closest and "cherished" friends are concerned - - -Well - I'd rather not elaborate on that subject - All I can say is 
-->They'll never run out of beautiful portraits !!





As I've retierated before - I love Sports Photoraphy  [but]
 I've Always Adored - and Still Adore --->Available Light Portraiture

Yup, First Love Never Dies.

brosi gonzales

No comments:

Post a Comment