Tuesday, December 17, 2013

On-the-Spot Portraits

Family Day at FEU ?

Came to FEU, Diliman [formerly called - FEU FERN] recently [Dec.15, Sunday], to get a dose of UAAP Mens' Football action.  With [my baby] Canon 100-400mm telephoto zoom lens still under repair  - I could only have hoped to get probably, [if I'm lucky] just five or so decent action shots with my Canon 100mm prime lens - [tutok na siguro yon] - meaning, being totally focused on the game for the full 90+ minutes -   

My one and only decent action shot from the Archers-Eagles match. 
-- Green Archer Greggy Yang and Blue Eagle Mikko Mabanag --
[taken w 100mm lens]

What a very frustrating feeling - having been going to the annual UAAP Football Tournaments with long telephoto lenses for the past four years --- Yes, I've been covering the UAAP Football Tournaments [Mens' & Womens'] since January of 2009  --- And now, all of a sudden - I know I won't be able to create those "compressed" football, action photos which I love --- Well, until I have my 100-400 back.

As circumstance would have it - before I could even "get settled" on the sidelines [for that Ateneo-de La Salle match],  I bumped into  acquaintances here and there - Hardly had I entered the premises - I was already chatting with some of my acquiantances from the FEU Mens' Football Team.  Proceeding to the football pitch  - I bumped into FEU Athletic Director Mark Molina, engaged him in conversation and within 5-10 minutes into our chat - I had started to take portraits of his three young children ! - Shit - I Didn't even have time to greet my brother and sister-in-law, who I was eager to see [my nephew, their eldest boy, is a starter for the Green Archers]  .    .    . I actually wanted to chat with every single acquiantance there - players from FEU, players from UP, players from the Ateneo Womens' Team, coaches, assistant coaches, team PTs, brothers, sisters, barkadas of the players -- meaning UAAP baseball, softball, basketball,  athletes - Their dads, moms uncles, brothers , sisters, baby brothers and sisters too -  etc., etc., etc. -- And I knew I simply couldn't actually afford to socialize [and catch up]  "normally"- cos - there was a football match [about to start], which I wanted to cover {Hey, my nephew  was gonna play } - and then some ! 

 {Never actually got to cover it - I just took some HD Videos w/ my Sony HD HandyCam and some stills [so bitin!!] w/ 100mm }

 Three Baby Tams ??  or
"Q"  and the Baby TamTwins
Which is the better caption ? Whatever !   "Q" [middle & eldest], and twin sister
 [I forget her nickname !] and brother "Z" belong to Mark Molina, FEU Athletics Director. I've taken lots of candids of "Q", in different places in the past two years or so - at the Arena, Araneta, and lately, at FEU, Diliman. [He has appeared in this blog 2X already]. 



 Last Sunday, tho, was the first time EVER I saw the three Molina Kids complete - ergo, these fleeting On-the-Spots.  'Twould have been a sin for me NOT to take their portraits. 20-30 shots w/ my Canon DSLR on servo mode ??   No biggy. 'Twas Worth every Click !!

 The Ancheta KidZ


A Very Very Healthy, Spontaneous Demeanor ALWAYS makes for [Non-Traditional] Great Family Portraits.  I've been acquianted somewhat w/ Alphonso [behind, in white], and  Dudut [w glasses] - through the past few years. - having seen them occasionally {quite often, at that} at RIFA games {through their Grade School & High School years!!}  [They both hail from Xavier].  Now, their beeing UP Maroons is just another phase of their "athletic lives" that I eventually get to get "snippets" of, albeit through OTS Portraits  {or football action shots}.

Finally meeting Alvaro [in blue] and Joaqi [the lil' girl] and experiencing their "lightness" and "cheer" has even made my good impressions of the Ancheta Family even better.  What can I say ?? I love these kinds of impromptu shoots where just place my subjects together, in a nice setting [tweak their posture]- and then, what happens before me - is just Priceless.  I simply have to capture that "love" ---> that, which can never be faked.       Sappy ?? ---> So be it.


 Boys from the Ridge
Franky Stewart, Javi Bonoan, Jose Bonboan, Ryan Fermin, 
Jiggs Cruz, Lui Clavano
Since my nephew, [not in picture] was a batchmate of Jobo, Ryan and Jiggs- - saw these three guys through their RIFA days in Southridge Grade School and High School [Javi even, being just a year younger] Si Frank & Miggy - hindi ko na naabutan.  Anyway, seeing them AND photographing them -again- this time as young adolescents is simply a treat.  It makes my collection of their football images more than just intermittent/random photo essays - Now, my ever growing collection is becoming a series of  "life stories" of sorts.

 Siblings Franky and Sarah Stewart with Jiggs Cruz

Met Frank that afternoon. - He'll be playing for the Ateneo UAAP Baseball Team come January. 

Met Sarah about two years ago. - She won the Rookie of the Year [UAAP Softball] plum then.  After that playing year, she quit the team to concentrate on her other priorities . She'll probably never return to the UAAP.

Jiggs, a sophomore in DLSU Taft, is slated to suit up [football] next year for the Archers.  He had some playing time in the UFL, last year, but his decision to play in the UAAP seems to be the better option for him now. Yes, I saw this young man, [then a little boy] slowly grow go [as a football player - He's a batchmate of my nephew ->[a starter for DLSU Football Team], through Grade School and High School in Southridge.

   
                                 Len, Lexi, and Mikel                 Franky and Sarah

 Lesley Mangubat and Mikel Clavano

Lesley and Lexi

I was also going to shoot the Paredes Siblings [Eman, who I know, from the Ateneo team - along with his brother {a sound engineer - damn ! I forget his name} and sister ->AV

who I both met that afternoon - along with ->Lesley, Lexi, Len, & Mikel - all rooting for Ateneo -- who unfortunately lost [2-1] via a goal by DLSU during the minute or so Extended Time !!! 

but they [the Paredeses] had to leave, all of a sudden - while I was still doing shots of some guys [or else I would have ALL the ---> Montelibano, Molina, Ancheta, Stewart, Paredes, Bonoan, --even the Clavano--   kids' {if I got ask April, their mom and IF I had time !!}    portraits in one afternoon !! -


   
"Parang Manika" 'talaga tong Molina Twin - di ba ? 
kaso - nalimutan ko ang palayaw niya

2  -  4  -  6  -  8
The Montelibano Kids

I'll fill in the three missing names, soon - no hurry. I do know Miguel [#14], Isabel [#6], Jose [shades dangling], and Alfonso [DLSU tee] - met Cristina [#20], that afternoon. 

 --- Shout Out To ---
Liezl Le Bron Montelibano -- Did I Finally get your kids names right - 
this time ??

and a Parting Shot   .   .   .

Boys from the Ridge - Reloaded

Stewart / 2 Bonoans / Fermin / Cruz / Clavano 

My nephew, Nace Gonzales, shouldda been in this group shot !! -
 But he was with the Green Archer huddle, at the time this photo was taken.

brosi gonzales 

Tags
frankstewart josebonoan javibonoan ryanfermin jiggscruz miggyclavano sarahstewart mikelclavano lesleymangubat alvaroancheta alphonsoancheta joaquiancheta dudutancheta qmolina zmolina miguelmontelibano isabelmontelibano josemontelibanp alfonsomontelibano cristinamontelibano
brosigonzalesphotography brosigonzalesportraits 


No comments:

Post a Comment