Tuesday, December 02, 2014

A Thousand Words



Portraiture
Flesh & Blood 
Heart & Soul 


When it comes down to a Portrait feat -  I could pick anyone, among hundreds of subjects I've done portraits of  - - -  I can even remember my first real FAVORITE portrait subject, at that,    .....{when the SLR camera I was using was a borrowed one, I had NO SLR then - film was still the norm }.....   and her name was Dianna L. Brown, from Dyess, Texas - and Yes, I have her prints, to this very day !

- - - but since my choice of portrait subjects, to feature, is often dictated by my moods { among other things }, or by what I'm currently engrossed in  -

- I'm featuring Kansas City native Kaylee Manns, who has just finished her second volleyball stint at the 2014 Philippines Super Liga Open Conference.

I'm still in the process of finishing up my Super Liga blog feats { I still have a bundle of action and B-t-Scenes Images set to release } and as I was just browsing my November 30 JPEG files a few hours ago,  I discovered more "blogworthy" images of Kaylee Manns, and other volleybelles,  some action shots, of which, I should have included in my recent post.  

Sure, I can revise the said post - and, yes, I will ! - and add a few more images that fit in very well in that feat. 

With  more than enough decent images of Kaylee Manns, I can afford to write this post, PLUS another one AFTER this one [ ALSO with Kaylee ] and some other PSL sthletes - Bahala na -

 { At times, I decide AS I am fashioning my post ---on-a-Whim---what images to include - The blog is more FLUID in that manner - like my Moods - Fluid ! Hahaha ! }.



 - A Thousand Words -


Know what - When I discovered this image [from a series of 4 shots] -

 It just F_____g "Got me" -  Tang Ina ! {excuse my French].  Dude,  Pre,  Bro, 'Tol - whatever !  How often do I get this kind of shot ??  Not Often - D,B,P,T -> Dude, Pre, Bro, 'Tol - hahaha !!  So, so Not Often !!

Thing IS, Couldda been ANYONE !, for that matter. It just happened to be Kaylee Manns.

Are such moments planned, or set up ? Obviously NOT.  Kaylee had just come out of the Team Huddle {timeout - during the Mane 'n Tail vs Foton match}, and was just simply loosening up - she simply caught my attention {her body language AND facial expression} - and my instincts told me to shoot ASAP  - LEST the moment be LOST !

Fortunately, I was able to take 4  frames in the Nick of Time !! before Kaylee put her hands down, "changed" demeanor and walked away.



- Just a Few Words - 
 [for the refeee !]


Was I super lucky to have noticed that moment ?  Maybe Yes, maybe No.  But, Hey, I also caught Kaylee, this time, in a "verbal mood", complaining to the refs, during a match, a week or so previous ...

Point IS - I GOT the Shots - OK ? Let's just leave it at that.  At Least, Shots that CAN Speak Volumes [at least, that's what I'd like to think they can do - Speak Volumes - hahaha !}

And as much as I'd like to add more Very Interesting Images of Kaylee in this post - I've decided to  release them in another separate post - Simply because, those Very Interesting Images of Kaylee ARE Action Shots from her last match, this conference {Mane 'n tail vs Foton}.


---------


Making the Intangible ->Tangible

What I Love about Portraiture is being physically Face to Face , and {Essentially } One-on-One with the subject.

The most "state of the art" social media apps/networking can NEVER even come close to the vibe one feels, face to face - with a person.

---> That IS - Flesh & Blood for ya

Still, being Physically Present - even So Up Close & Personal AIN't a Guarantee that  my portraits of a person will be, even decent, Mind You. 
{ Hey - I could be inches close to a person, and yet that person could be "not present" at all - and  we could be Miles and Worlds Apart. }

To be successful in creating a REAL Portrait - My subject has to be present - I !!, have to be present.  I have to "BE THERE !"  

 Gotta feel something in my Gut - even in the subtlest vibe possible. I have to be Comfortable w/ the whole situation, wether it's a stolen shot scenario, or a one-on-one shoot affair  -  So I can somehow sense my subjects "pulse",  ergo my instincts easily guiding me in the shoot - and somehow making the images, Well-Timed, More Sensitive to the Subject, More Soulful, or, in a manner of speaking- "Closer to Home"

Now, Am I trying to sound Artsy-Fartsy - No.
 

I know I can go BEYOND what I PHYSICALLY SEE, and it is my ability to Imagine - which helps me translate what I physically see - into an image Not Physically Seen  ( at LEAST, it has to be visualized first, in my mind's eye ),  ERGO - I can then 
Spin it (--->the Image), Style it, and Weave some Substance and SOUL into it - and eventually make it Visibly Tangible in a photo  ... ...

( and all this, the whole imagination / visualization procees, actually comes in the speed of a thought )

---> And, That IS - Heart & Soul for ya

Need I say more ?




brosi gonzales

No comments:

Post a Comment