Saturday, December 06, 2014

Where It All Started


Yes,
Inside a US Air Force Military Base



It IS an Endless Learning Process, this Portraiture adventure of mine, - and there is Always Something NEW To Learn [and Experience] and one should always mindful of Improvement and of Taking Things to the Next Level - Constantly. 

But since I mentioned, just a post or two previous, my First Ever Favorite Portrait subject - Allow me to share a scanned image of one of a very, very few analogue prints that I've kept all these years of my a former neighbor of mine.

BACKGROUNDER
I was working for an architectural firm (my first job ever), then - when a project had me assigned (along w an office mate) to an American military installation - as inside a U.S.A.F. base - yes, as in U.S. Air Force !   w/ F-15 Eagles, F-16 Falcons, C-5 Galaxies ... erc., etc.  within the environs.

I stayed , lived (along w my officemate Edwin) with an American family.  The base was home for both of us, for five long months

Twas like living in the States, even the air "smelled" different ! - Truth be told !

Suffice it to say, then, I decided to borrow my cousin's  Pentax SLR - and for the entire duration of my stay - I strived to take photos for posterity and ended up making my first serious attempts at Portraiture.

That is HOW it all started - My Love Affair with Photography.

If not for those five long months, trying to capture my new "neighborhood" in still images, I really can't say how my "architectural career" would have evolved.  Still, it took another three years [after that stint] before I finally got my first ever SLR, a Nikon FM2, And it that three year span - I painstakingly taught myself portraiture  -  using my sister, mom, and first cousins as models  ---- 

FAST FORWARD TO TODAY
Now, taking portraits, particularly -> on-the-spot, on-a-whim IS second nature for me. 
With my added/current involvement in sports photojournalism, It' simply more fun - being in sports events practically almost everyday !

Anyway, before I forget -

Her family was our next door neighbor and  pretty much everyday she'd drop by to hang out with the kids of my "foster family" -> an American couple and their two kids.

She'd watch me take photos of the neighborhood, the greenery - the base  [particularly, the residential area]  had lots [and lots !] of trees !   I'd take shots at dawn, and dusk [in particular], the people I worked with, my office mate Edwin, still life photos in the house [doing experiments w/ different aperture/speed settings], then she'd
look at all those prints [which I'd scrutinize] I'd bring home from the photo shop - She was just around all the time  - so eventually I started talking her portraits.


HINDSIGHT
My first portraits were amateurish - and the 50mm, normal lens I was using really didn't give me many options - and well, whatever - like most beginners - I fumbled -took underexposed, sometimes overexposed images -Twas tough ->particularly within the limits of FILM !  --> Hindsight, I suppose that's how I was "compelled" to learn to visualize way --- way before hand HOW my pictures might, should and would look -> Firstly, in my Mind --     Well, so much for those  "old school" / "school of hard knocks" /" I paid my dues" days  ...... 

 At least,  I was able to save some analogue prints [particularly my early solo portrait attempts] ......

By the way, Her name is Dianna, a native from Dyess, Texas.





Sure,  I have a TON of favorites, these days [sometimes they change, on a whim - sort of, hahaha !] - But Truth be Told - i have my REAL, Honest-to-Goodness favorite subjects
[To-Die-For - kidding !] Of Course - I will NEVER reveal their names - But as far as the ORIG First Favorite of mine --> There is only one, of course .

Dianna - was  Makulit !, Madaldal ! Mahilig talaga mag-pose,  Fiesty, Bluntly tactless YET hilarious - HOW on earth could I not notice her ??   

PS - She actually drew the straight hair on the blackboard and simply waited for me to take her portrait. 


Yup, that's where i Fell In Love with Portraiture, in a US Air Force Base [not kidding]
  --> in a galaxy, far, far away [Kidding of course]. 


brosi gonzales




No comments:

Post a Comment