Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Managing Somehow

May 15 - Sunday - Rizal Stadium


What Did I Do 
When my Telephoto Zoom Lens
 Malfunctioned ?

{Hey - I Still Managed to Capture the Winning Goal }
 ha ha ha { albeit - w/a wide-angle}


Around 10 minutes or so into the Stallions FC  vs  Kaya FC UFL match last Sunday afternoon, after just shooting 5 or so frames, w a rented Canon 70-200mm 2.8 on my DSLR - the system malfunctioned - - > "Error !" came out on the LCD. The DSLR and the lens weren't communicating - ergo - "Please cleans lens contacts " also appeared on the LCD.

After, repeatedly!, wiping the lens contacts AND DLSR contacts [w a clean hankie, dabbd w a lil' Listerine]  the "Error!" prompt appeared again, and again - the system repeatedly malfunctioning.

I tried attaching my personal 24-70mm 2.8 Canon lens -
 It functioned perfectly !
Then, I  reattached the 70-200 only to see the system malfunction again.

I repeated this procedure - switched lenses - and each and every time, my 24-70 functioned perfectly, while the rented 70-200 malfunctioned - again and again   ...

Consequently, I gave up and just tried to get some football action images with my 24-70 !!

Then, as Fate would have it  ...  .. or was it Luck ? or Persistence ? "Being in the Right Place at the Right Time" ?- so to speak  .

...some time near mid 1st half - I simply managed to capture Ruben Doctora's attempt [from a distance] w the wide angle lens.

This 1st Half field attempt by Doctora, netted a Goal ! which eventually turned out to be the ONLY goal of the match !- ERGO - 

Since no team was able to score after - It became the Winning Goal ! of the match, which ended in favor of the Stallions FC {vs Kaya FC}  [ 1-0 ]  !!!


 - cropped version -

25th minute
Ruben Doctora scores


 - Actual wide-angle Image -


One should not expect decent, let alone good, or great - football action images
 w a 24m wide angle lens - 

 {Can you imagine, if this was shot w a 70-200mm tele zoom lens ???
'Twould have been 10 X better 

---------

Will I attribute the tele-zoom lens malfunction to Bad Luck ??

Will I attribute my capturing the one and only field goal [Winning Goal, at that!] of the match to Good Luck ?

What - Ever ! 

Admittedly, the image is slightly of-focus.
Taken from a great angle, BUT, with the "wrong lens".
STILL -  I Got it.

Simply because - Despite the unfavorable circumstances - I Tried.



brosi gonzales







No comments:

Post a Comment