Friday, August 29, 2014

Sui Generis

A Blast from my 
Colorful Black & White 
Past






Perf de Castro was the Lead Guitarist
for the orig River Maya
[along w/ Bamboo & Rico Blanco]


YES, I took this LIVE photo of River Maya at the Folk Arts Theatre [1995 !].

Shot this image with a Nikkormat SLR film camera.

Used 35mm ASA 400 Kodak Tri-X Black & White Film.

Processed the film myself.

I then, HAND-COLORED THE 35mm Black & White negatives, 
with transparent paint - tediously applying the paint on the
 "non-emulsion side" of the negatives, using needles, toothpicks, and a "Triple O" brush.

Went to a reputable custom lab and had them make an analogue color print from my "Hand-Colored Black & White Negative".

Was able to preserve an original print for myself {Perf de Castro himself ordered a "16 X 20" color blow-up of the image].

Scanned the analogue print on a flatbed scanner - ergo this JPEG file 
 [watermarked for obvious reasons].


----------------
Those were the days, when I'd actually go on tour w/ Bamboo--River Maya / 
Cookie Chua--Color it Red / Wency Cornejo--After Image / Basti Artadi--Wolfgang /
Medwyn Marfil--True faith - and some other bands that never made it quite as big.

Have actually posted this image, alongside some Cookie Chua--Color it Red \ LIVE photos - sevX over in my ORIG blog ---> [brosigonzales.blogspot.com], and in this one too [maybe a year or two ago]. 

AND I do know for a fact, that every now and then - there will be First-Time visitors to this blog, who can easily conclude that I'm just all about Sports Photography - which simply ISN'T true.

I taught myself photography ------- started with Black & White Available Light Portraiture - and Darkroom Lab Work ------- the "old school" way. I didn't have the conveniences of Auto-Focus and Instant image Preview {to make on-the-spot adjustments} and being able to shoot hundreds, even thousands of images with a bundle of SD or CF cards.

At least, I can truly say - that I have the Best of Both Worlds  - Analogue AND Digital - in my pocket.  

Yes, one has to continually adjust, and keep pace with technology - 
STILL, Technology IS ONLY a TOOL -
HOW one USES it IS the TRUE Measure of one's SkillZ AND ArtistrY.


brosi gonzales

No comments:

Post a Comment