Friday, January 02, 2015

What I Strive For


Icons
{Eye-Cons and non-Eye-Cons}
excuse the pun


I've always loved the word "icon", for what it suggests {at the very least},
and what it truly means.

For one thing, at least for me, the word "iconic" is synonymous with the words "symbolic" and "classic", which in turn, also for me, suggests timelesness - ergo - a "timeless, immortal symbol" - { of a particular period, era, point in time } { as in the context of history }.

In the years that I've done photography, I, fortunately, have crafted some portraits {I will not specifically point them out} {some of which, are NOT even in this post} that I personally and genuinely feel are truly iconic, at least, as far as my life is concerned.

Some are film portraits, some are digital ones. 

-------

It does take an arbitrary measure of time before i "sense" and "feel", or eventually realize - that an image has that unique undeniable "certain quality" {for lack of an accurate description} that sets it apart - way, way above the rest, and I am referring to the thousands of SOLO portraits in my archives 
 {Film AND Digital images combined}.

From the very random set of images below, there are two or three images that I honestly feel are iconic because they simply fit the bill 
{at least, as far as my personal life is concerned}
 ... meaning ...

The said images .....
---Have a Very High Level of Technical AND Artistic Synergy.
---Are truly Soulful and Powerful - in away like no other -
    though NOT necessarily screaming for attention  - at first glance  !!
    
 ---Have "Haunted" me for  a certain period of time, a year {at the least, 
     two or more years even} - so, the potential iconic image continues to 
     catch my attention even as the constant  influx of "weekly, or monthly 
     favorites" eventually  "fall by the wayside"  so to speak

---Represent, {ergo - symbolic} at the very least, a very, very significant   
     period of my life


Well, so much for criteria - 
I will NOT, as I said, point them out Specifically - (maybe, I'll point out one)
{For whatever Reason } Suffice to it to say, that the referred to "Iconic" images are intentionally mixed up with some NON-ICONIC [just]
All-Time favorites.

Yes, I've got so, so, SO much more of  Great, Standout Soulful Solos - particularly from the past five years - during which I've Luckily managed solo one-on-one shoots {commissioned and private} despite my hectic sports schedules.

And despite my proclaimed policy of limiting my blog photo releases to that of images related to my sports shoots - I've actually have made an exception, this time around  - cos, ALL - except ONLY THREE portraits in the small set of Monochrome Images in this post ARE sports-related  [the rest are from one-on-one private photo shoots].








































I've actually a ton of solo on-the-spot portraits [a lot, of which are stolen],
shot in the sports setting [in the past year] - and eventually, after a year or so - I'll start to "notice" some images that will somehow keep on "haunting" me, even as the constant influx of portraits continue (also from private solo shoots).  

It's just natural that the test of time reveals the truly great images that never lose their appeal AND EVEN as time passes, some images age in such a manner that they still have that  "freshness"  and impact that will constantly merit another look ------ One never gets tired of looking at them ! --- even if they are years old already.

Solo one-on-one portrait shoots [in lanais, gardens, locations] have always provided me with great portraits, even from my early days using film. 

It's just so gratifying [and challenging] doing what I do and in the course of my photographic "adventures" - I will be, hopefully, occasionally {like Once in a Blue Moon !!} be rewarded with iconic images - Like the truly "rare one" below.

A Lasting symbol-image-remembrance  "Deeply Etched" - in my  ha-ha-ha-heart of hearts - hahaha .....

Fact is - If I may intimate openly -- She was the One that got away -
The One True "Love of My Life" [for several years] - Yup ! - Now - That, 
my friends, does help make the B & W image below ->Truly Iconic ! 
- hahaha again .....





brosi gonzales

No comments:

Post a Comment